Barry Shannon

barry.jpg

Mana’o Radio regrets to inform our listeners and supporters that our friend and mentor, Barry Shannon, the co-founder of Mana’o Radio, passed away peacefully Saturday, April 7th. We are gladdened by his life and works far more than we are saddened by his passing. He left the earth a better place than it was before. He was an inspiration to us all.

A big benefit concert will be held soon, in Barry’s memory, to help ensure that Mana’o Radio lives on. Details will be coming soon.

Kathy Collins wishes to extend her heartfelt gratitude to the many friends who have helped her with their prayers, kind thoughts and tributes to Barry in this difficult time.

Please do not call Mana’o Radio air personnel. Further information will be posted here on this website as soon as it becomes available. Thank you for your many expressions of comfort and offers of help. We will be letting you know what you can do to help as soon as we can.

Mahalo,
The Mana’o Radio ‘Ohana

Kathy Collins’ E-mails
The following is a condensation of Kathy Collins’ e-mails of the last week or so. Hopefully this will answer some of the questions that Barry’s many friends and loved ones have had.�

Barry and I came to Phoenix for a few Tita shows and a family vacation. The night before we were to return to our respective homes, my son drove us to the ER because Barry was having excruciating pain in his left leg. That was 9 PM Sunday 3/25. Three hours later he was incoherent and by 2 AM, drifting in and out of consciousness. He had multiple blood clots in his leg, more suspected in heart and brain. Liver and kidneys were failing; his heart disease had become much worse; he had developed serious blockage on the left side; white blood count elevated; pneumonia in one lung and unidentified spots in the other. Blood pressure was dangerously low, pulse incredibly high, and he had suffered a heart attack. They transferred him to Mesa General Hospital immediately, where they specialize in serious cardiac care and have state of the art surgical facilities. . . Dr. Wall (who is a superb doctor and very attentive and caring) has been in to check on us several times a day. . . He truly cares about Barry, his mental state and spirit as well as his body. I’m equally impressed with the ICU nursing staff and techs.

Mahalo for your wonderful, inspiring expressions of love and support. . . Barry is now on the greatest adventure of his life, and so far the journey has been gentle and sweet. . . I have read every single one of your messages to him and told him about each phone call. I am sure they play a large role in his comfort. I know they have in mine.

Many of you have asked how I’m able to cope so well with this. It’s because Barry has been preparing me for this, ever since he could feel his heart condition worsening several months ago. And because I was privileged to share in my father’s final months, learning from my mom’s example, real courage and strength; and from my father, how truly peaceful and beautiful the passage can be.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 “Barry has left the building”
His passage, at 3:46 AZ time, was peaceful and gentle. All of the tubes and machines had been removed. His eyes had been open for several hours, but were not seeing anything in the tiny ICU room. When his heart began to race and his breaths started to come in a strange rhythm of pauses and deep gasps, I stopped reading your beautiful e-mails to him and bent over the bed to rest my head next to his. His head was turned to the left so our foreheads and noses could touch, and I told him how smoothly the Mana’o Radio crew was sailing the ship in our absence. . . I told him how proud I was of him and the volunteer staff he had trained so well. I assured him that he was leaving a legacy that would brighten the lives of Mauians and listeners worldwide, long after I and the last of our current staff would join him in the adventure on which he was about to embark. I talked to him nonstop for an hour – no dead air! – about the many lessons he had taught me and the ones he was about to learn. I asked him if it really did feel like flying, as Dorothy had said, or whether he was riding the slow motion roller coaster my dad described in his own final hours, with colors so deep and rich, he could actually touch them. I asked whether he had heard Willy in the twilight or seen the healer Gill sent to visit him. And I told him over and over how deeply he is loved, how much he will be missed, and how happy I was that he was finally getting the peaceful rest that had eluded him for the past several months.Most of you probably didn’t realize how his body had betrayed him recently, frustrating him by not allowing him enough oxygen to do the things he loved: hiking, martial arts, weight lifting, climbing the daunting Mana’o staircase two or three stairs at a time. He knew this day was coming and he had been telling me, from the day his heart disease was diagnosed, that he was better prepared for death than for life as an invalid. He wasn’t depressed, just realistic, determined to live – and leave – on his own terms. He was sincerely grateful for the good health, good friends, and good times he had enjoyed for so many years, more than he thought he deserved.About ten minutes before he drew his last breath, his glazed eyes suddenly focused on mine and he blinked a couple of times. I told him it was time to go and thanked him for preparing me for the moment. I told him that the journey would be beautiful, that HE was beautiful, and that my life would also be beautiful because he would continue to share it with me, minus that “bag of skin” (one of his favorite phrases) to hold him back.

And so my favorite DJ has gone to the Great Studio in the Sky. . . My deepest gratitude to each and every one of you, for your comforting and inspiring messages throughout this ordeal. Thank you for showering so much love on my love.

Me ke aloha pumehana,
Kathy

72 Responses to “Barry Shannon”

1. (excerpt from Charles Laquidara’s blog http://www.bigmattress.com/weblog/ which started a tribute to Barry Shannon. Thanks Charles!)

If we could know it would be the last conversation..

A friend of mine called me last week, saying she had a very rare cassette recording, (no longer available) of jazz musician Paul Winter. She asked if any of my techie friends over at Mana’o Radio could dub the cassette onto a CD for her. I immediately called Barry Shannon, the founder/owner/program director (big lug Kahuna) of the station, and asked him if he could make the dub. Barry was his normal, accommodating and cordial self, telling me he could make three dubs if I’d like, and told me to just leave the cassette in his stash at the radio station. He said he and his lovely wife Kathy Collins would be in Phoenix for a few days, and when he came back he would certainly be happy to take care of the cassette dubbing for my friend. He then added, “Hey, we keep promising each other we are going to do lunch- Let’s stop talking about it and let’s just do it when I get back to Maui!” I agreed- We would do that.

What was a trivial, conversation that afternoon became very important for me to recall and cherish a few days later, because a series of unpredictable events occurred shortly after that conversation:
    Barry and Kathy did fly to Phoenix- It was to be part business and part fun: a few Tita shows and a family vacation.

But the night before they were to return, Barry began having excruciating pain in his left leg. That was 9 pm Sun 3/25. Three hours later, he was incoherent , and by 2am, drifting in and out of consciousness. He was rushed to a local hospital outside the city. During almost 16 hours in ER, they kept finding more problems while waiting for an ICU room to open up: He had multiple blood clots in his leg, (more suspected in heart & brain). It grew steadily worse. In a short time his liver & kidneys failed; his heart disease had become much worse, he had developed serious blockage on the left side; white blood count elevated; diagnosed with pneumonia in one lung and unidentified spots in the other. Blood pressure was dangerously low, pulse incredibly high. Late Monday night, when Barry was finally taken to ICU, the doctor on duty took one look, ordered a breathing tube inserted so that the ventilator would help him breathe and re-oxygenate him and had him rushed to Mesa General Hospital in Phoenix, where they specialize in serious cardiac care & have state-of-the art surgical facilities. Barry remained in Mesa’s ICU, where he had multiple surgeries to remove the blood clots from his left leg, groin to ankle, but the leg had to be amputated above the knee Wednesday evening. He began receiving dialysis in an effort to rid his body of any remaining sedatives as well as whatever toxins were preventing his organs from recovering. Things became progressively worse after his liver completely shut down. Because of the non-function of the liver and the poor state of his kidneys, Barry was unable to rid his body of toxins. His family eventually stopped the dialysis and he was removed from the ventilator.

Barry passed away at 3:46 pm Phoenix time, April 7, 2007.

Mana’o Radio, undeniably one of the greatest free-form stations to have ever hit the airwaves, (especially given today’s state of the medium) is Barry Shannon’s legacy.
    Barry Shannon: A song (as you read) http://www.radiowavex.com/images/The%20Messiah%20Will%20Come%20Again%202.mp3

Back then… an article by “Stevie Guitar” Sparks http://www.radiowavex.com/images/Savoring%20the%20Implications.htm.

2. Stan Dillon says:

Barry is a friend and one of the most sincere and wonderful human beings anyone could ever imagine. Aloha, perhaps we will meet again.

3. Richard Douglas says:

Life can be a cruel joke. My wish is for peace and love to everyone touched by Barry. He was one of life’s gifts. I’m sorry to hear of your burden Charles.

4. Bob says:

I am sorry to hear about your and the world loss. If it is any consolation few people ever get to live out their dreams big or small. Barry was one of the lucky ones.

5. Danny says:

Thanks for the Grooves Barry…

6. Jeff M says:

Life is so fragile…it kind of makes you think about the everyday people in your life. Things can change faster than we realize.

7. Yvonne Christian says:

Sorry to hear about this.

8. Bill the Republican says:

I guess even in paradise there is sometimes pain. Sorry to hear, and best to his family..

9. Mary Dungans says:

Aloha Charles: Your dedication to Barry, Kathy and Manao radio on your website is wonderful. We have been supporters of Manao since the very beginning and have gotten to know Kathy and Barry personally. Most of the DJ’s feel like our personal friends even through we don’t really know you. 5 radios in our home are tuned to Manao, as well as our cars, and Manao is part of our lives. You are so right, that what Barry and Kathy have created is a unique and wonderful station that everyone on Maui and the web is so blessed to enjoy. Barry’s legacy will love on and Kathy has so many friends to help her continue the dream. We are forever thankful to you all.

10. Russ & Kat Shearer says:

Gentle winds, Brother.

11. Rich Tully says:

I am rocking out to Manao Radio right now, going through some photos and mental snapshots of Barry.

I feel so lucky to have met him, and what a great chance he gave me to work as a DJ at Manao Radio. Barry, you continue to live with so many people here and your mana continues to power Mana’o radio and beyond!

I can already imagine you filling out another Radio Station application wherever you may be now… I just hope the internet relay signal isn’t provided by Verizon (inside joke!)

And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years. – Abraham Lincoln

With Warm Aloha,

Rich Tully

12. F says:

My sympathies to all who knew Barry. May your grieving stir up the fondest of love and memories. Live well.

13. Susie Sunshine from Hawaii says:

“Susie Sunshine” says to Barry to rememember I loved our times together, and we will meet again,.

14. Larry and Michal John says:

We will miss our wonderful friend Barry. We will miss his smile, his laugh, his stories, his beautful voice and so much more. We have so many wonderful memories of this great man and friend. We miss you
    Barry. Aloha.

15. Sheila says:

Almost 40 years ago you brought me to Maui-you were a beautiful young man, my first love, and one of my greatest teachers. You knew more at 28 than most people will ever know, and more than anything, you knew how to live life fully. If there is any consolation, it’s that, and that you have such a loving wife. I’ll never forget you,my dearest Madman Barry. Aloha.

16. -r. says:

This is so sad. What a great guy, what a terrible loss for Maui.

17. Mike says:

I’m sad to hear of Barry’s passing. I’m sorry for your loss.

18. Kathy Collins says:

Thank you all, old friends and new, for your eloquent expressions of love and support. And thank you, Charles, for the beautiful tribute to the big lug. I know he is smiling at us all from the Great Studio in the Sky.

19. There is so much suffering and sorrow loose in the world today and It becomes painfully poignant when it touches a friend. We all play the ‘If I had only known what was going to happen…
    I woulda, coulda, shoulda..” game. Don’t torment yourself for not being clairvoyant. Life is live-There is no script to pre-read and we are all
    walking on thin ice.
    Massachusetts sends Sincere Condolences to Barry’s Family and Friends.

20. Ten 44 says:

The older we get — the more we embrace.

My deepest sympathies to your friends for your recent loss.

21. Vince Esquire says:

Being the youngest DJ at Mana’o, Barry was like a grandfather to me. I thank god for Barry’s time on earth and also believe that he’s the biggest contributor to where my career in music is heading right now. We love and miss you Barry and you can rest assure that in our hands Manao radio, your legacy, will survive and flourish beyond anything you ever could have imagined. rest in peace my friend.

22. Deke says:

Please accept my condolences (and extend them to Kathy). You, she, the Mana’o family, and the world at large, have suffered a great loss. I feel fortunate to have spent a little time with Barry, and to have seen him at Uni San last month,during our abbreviated visit.

Your posting, and the contributions by Robbie and by ‘Stevie Guitar’ were both touching and extremely informative–I had no clue about the extent of Barry’s experience and accomplishment. I had been extrmely impressed by what (apparently little) I had known.

Aloha pumehana.

23. Joe Rogers says:

He must have been great to work with. It is genuinely sad to lose such a man. I’m sad for the great loss to all of Radio.

24. Mike Albert says:

What a powerful tribute. The attached song says so much. I will miss our friend, our brother. I am saddened by our loss, but am girded by our faith. God allows no coincidences. It is Easter Sunday.

Aloha.

25. Charlie Dungans says:

In the end, our wealth is determined not by what we’ve earned, built, saved or accomplished; but by those we love and those who love us. Using this criteria, Barry is obviously one of the world’s wealthiest men. This is important because the only thing we get to take to the next world is our love. Some only need a little pail, some need a truck, Barry will need a freight train to carry his. Regardless of what anyone may think, that is the true measure of a man. Barry was a great man and he and his legacy will live on in our hearts.
    We will miss you Barry, and smile when we think of you.

26. Michael McCartney remembers Barry Shannon
    *from Michael’s blog at http://thetimemachineradioshow.blogspot.com/. – see the same post but with pictures

Here it is Easter Sunday and it’s been over twenty-four hours since I was on the air. It was during the halfway point of the broadcast when Kathy Collins called with the news of her husband passing away. Don Lopez was standing next to me while I was setting up the next song to play on the air. Don’s phone rang and it was not what I wanted to hear. I knew this time was coming and yet it was still hard to accept.

Where does one begin? Barry Shannon was a man filled with a love for life. A love and zest for life that you probably know first hand because every group of friends has that one guy or girl who embraces everything. That was Barry.

Sure…Barry and I would swap stories about our FBI files or the decline of record labels supporting and nuturing artists in the late sixties and early seventies. Talking politics often made us sound cynical but it’s only because we care. Barry cared and it showed in everything he did. Mana’o Radio is just one shining example.

It was just over five years ago that KEAO hit the FM airwaves as “Mana’o Radio” on Maui and online. Like most disc jockeys, Barry had a desire to get a radio station on the air that meant something to people and would give him the vehicle to truly express himself as an announcer. Barry and I would share our FCC stories. Barry got so far forward with the filing process than I did that I had to bow down to the master. Barry’s knowledge and learning some new rope techniques along the way brought his radio dream closer to reality.

“Any day now”, he told me on the phone while I was doing my afternoon airshift on KONI 104.7 FM, “You’ve been there from the beginning. I know that you’re busy but would you like to be a part of this?”.

Busy? Was he kidding me? What DJ doesn’t want to do whatever the heck he feels like doing on the airwaves? Clear my calender!

Of course, I was in the fortunate situation of already working for more than one broadcasting company, so adding another was not a problem.

Here comes the fun part…showing up for Mana’o Radio’s debut broadcast. Our first broadcast studio was actually in Barry and Kathy’s home. Where was the studio in their house? In a former teenager’s bedroom. That’s right. You couldn’t ask for a better place than a dwelling where music of the last century has hit the hearts of music lovers. The room you grew up in. The walls and ceiling still had stickers and assorted memories of youth that reflected that rock and roll spirt. At least in my head it did. It was a flashback to my youth when I did the same thing. Of course, my Dad wasn’t too thrilled with the fact that the government would show up like a scene out of “Pump Up The Volume”. Christian Slater’s performance, physical appearance and wardrobe in that motion picture didn’t help the situation but that’s a story for another day. If I have to tell one more journalist that the movie is really about Sean “Hollywood” Hamilton’s teenage years and not mine – I’m going to scream. Come on, Sean, fess up. Help a radio brother out.

Anyway…there we all were in the first week of broadcasting from a bedroom. The audience didn’t know where we broadcasting from but they certainly found us fast. We were only on for a couple of days and you could find KEAO as background music in all sorts of business establishments from dining to clothing. It was mind blowing that an audience would find us so quickly and embrace our free form format. In addition to Barry and Kathy, behind the microphone those first few days were all DJs who no longer had a home on the airwaves especially after not one – but two rock stations vanished from Maui’s airwaves. Spinning discs with joy were KAOI’s Bill Best, KMVI’s Kirk Hamilton, Scott Sherley and myself. Other displaced announcers came aboard over the following weeks. It was like all of us were rock and roll dinosaurs brought back to life on one radio station. Voices that filled Maui’s airwaves for decades were all on the same dial position. It was ironic to Scott Sherley and myself who went from being the oldest air talents on KPMW to being the youngest announcers on KEAO. The babies that we were…ended up playing the oldest music on Mana’o Radio. Go figure. *lol

Five years later, the station has evolved into a musical animal that can’t be leashed. The airstaff now consists of roughly fifty air talents. Most of the announcers are actually musicians. There are only a handful of us that have been announcers for most of our lives as a profession. This is all from a dream that began with Barry Shannon.

I have many memories of Barry. Like most Maui residents, I heard Barry on the radio. It was a blast to hear both Barry and Kathy when they got to gig on the air together. They were so funny on the air as a team. For almost twenty years, I kept asking Barry to bring back those old nuggets of comedy they produced for their radio program on FM 101 KLHI. “Someday”, Barry told me, “Those bits are still on reel to reel”. If you live in a digital age, that means that those comedic moments are on tape and have yet to be found in Barry’s stack to be transferred to CD or even an MP3 file.

It’s an odd remembrance but the image that I can never shake is when I used to work with Barry at KNUI. Maui’s Rock 98.3 and 55 AM were both KMVI and where purchased by the same company that owned KNUI. I came onboard with those two stations along with Q103 getting launched. Out of all of the radio stations that I’ve ever worked at, this particular radio station didn’t really have an area to hang out and shoot the breeze. Trust me when I say that most DJs are actually children at heart and every station that I’ve been at is really just a grown-up version of “Romper Room”.

So where did this leave Barry to relax or blow off some steam? Outside. I have so many fond memories of talking with Barry outside of the station in the ugly back parking lot near the dumpster. Broadcasting from Hawaii, this scenario looked more urban than Maui. It was much like a television crime drama where the culprit is up to no good in the alley behind the diner. I can still see Barry with his cordless headset around his neck listening to when his record would be over before running back in. We’d be outside looking like the J.D.s or “greasers” from those fifties flicks. While growing up as a teen at Lahainaluna High School, there was a silly term for those that hung around outside the bathroom during lunch recess looking tough – “the bathroom gang”. Adding to that image outside of the radio station’s back parking lot was Barry’s wife, Kathy Collins, taking a drag on a cigarette. You know how most people look really serious and tough while smoking a cigarette no matter how much they laugh and smile the rest of the time? That was Kathy, who now standing outside, could have easily slipped into being one of my classmates at Lahainaluna from “the bathroom gang”.

Barry would spin his tales or discuss his latest fave. The wind would be blowing Kathy’s hair and my tie in the cool Maui breeze under the Hawaiian sun. We’d all be laughing like it was recess in the sixth grade. Bless you Barry for making my stint a good time.

It wasn’t just the fact that we shared an appreciation for artists like Randy Newman or Tom Waits but Barry loved all music. He embraced the blues and jazz more than anyone that I knew. There were many times that Barry would run into the studio all out of breath pleading to know what song did I just play on the air. Winning by a landslide, were the phone calls on the studio request line from Barry wanting to find out who did that song. He was thirteen years old again only instead of some new Elvis Presley or Miles Davis…he was craving to play that awesome Ani DiFranco song or the latest Bonnie Raitt. He was all over me one day when I was playing a fifteen minute comedy cut about radio in the future. He was buring his own CD of that comedy track like a musical downloading teenage junkie.

I’ve only been telling you about music and radio. Barry was a man who loved the great outdoors. I regret that I never got to go on a hike with Barry as we often trekked the same paths in the valleys of Maui. He truly embraced the outdoors.

It was just a few months ago that Barry made it possible for me to get off the air and join him along with other Mana’o Radio airstaff on a whale watch with the band Astrogin. Ashley Starr from “The Time Machine” and myself enjoyed the late afternoon and sunset while humpback whales breached and took care of their calves between the islands of Kahoolawe, Lanai, Molokai and Maui. I had a wonderful time and only wish now that I had known that this would have been my last time “outside” with Barry. Before heading to Nevada and Arizona a few weeks ago, I was honored to have Barry host the last few radio shows before “The Time Machine” rolled in the studio. Barry had not been on the air for awhile and I suspect that he missed it. I could always count on Barry to begin “The Time Machine” with “Magic Bus” from the The Who or some fantastic cut from Steely Dan.

Barry, on behalf of; Jenny Leong, Summer Blue, Ashley Starr, Joe King and the rest of “The Time Machine” crew, I salute you for giving us the opportunity the last five years to spread our love of music and comedy. It didn’t matter if we played Power Pop or Big Band music. It didn’t matter if we played Heavy Metal or Singer-Songwriters. It didn’t matter if we played Little Feat followed by The Osmonds and Gwen Stefani. It didn’t matter that our most played artists since the station started where The Bangles and Rachael Yamagata. You let us “talk story” with musical performers, actors, comedians and authors for hours on the air. You permitted us to let artists actually perform live in the studio for as long as they wanted. Recording artists around the world and local Maui artists owe a debt to you which you never would collect. Hawaiian artists appreciate all that you have done for the music scene. We could never thank you enough.

I told Kathy last week that Barry had been around the block a number of times and yet still managed to have child like wonder. That is something that I will always find special in Barry and appreciate to this very day. He was a true friend and will be missed.

I will close out with these words from Kathy:

“And so my favorite DJ has gone to the Great Studio in the Sky. I only hope, as Rich said, that they don’t use Verizon up there.”

“My deepest gratitude to each and every one of you, for your comforting and inspiring messages throughout this ordeal. Thank you for showering so much love on my love.”

Me ke aloha pumehana,
    Kathy

27. Joe King says:

Barry, I will remember you as a very nice person and I will miss you. Aloha to you and your family. You are a great example of how to live life and treat others.

28. Tom Elliot says:

Barry Shannon has left this island and this world far better than when he found them. His loss will be keenly felt for long time but his gift to all of us will be here for far longer. He brought music and light to the soul of this island that will be with us always. Thank you Barry and thank you Kathy for everything you have given us.

Mahalo nui loa for sharing with us all a fine life, well lived and worthy of celebration.

29. Paul Hester says:

Thank you, Kathy and Barry. I am forever indebted and will always remember what you have done for me with Mana’o Radio. I did not listen to radio at all for 30 years,since the loss of underground stations and the advent of syndication,playlists,etc.When you came along,you bought great joy to my life,widening my musical exposure immeasuably and was what I so needed. I can NOT handle loud, tense auto commercials and the like. Thank you for showing the world another way. You HAVE changed the world, and Barry will always be loved and remembered for it, as will you, “Tita”!
    Aloha, and may blessings be with you,
    Paul Hester

30. Neola says:

What a shock! I have also been on the mainland this last week and just heard about Barry on Robbie’s show this morning, when I got to work. I can’t receive Mana’o at home, only on the car radio and at work one day a week in Wailuku, but you have definitely improved the quality of my life. Where else can an old hippie hear Jefferson Airplane, and, as I write this, Joanie Mitchell?
    Kathy, I feel that you were so right when you wrote that Barry is off on an adventure. Ram Dass once said that one of his spiritual teachers described death as like taking off a tight shoe. He also said that when he asked what he should say to people about the nature of death, this same teacher said “Tell them that death is perfectly safe.” It sounds like you’re in a good place about that, but my heart goes out to you.
    Mahalo nui loa to you and Barry for truly making a difference.

31. middlejohn says:

Barry was one of the guys that warped my young mind back in 66 when he was a dj on KMPX in San Francisco. Kmpx played the hip stuff after midnight. We met in 69 and again on Maui in 82-83 and wound up living on the same property on Maui for a decade along with his wife Kathy and a few other ne’er do wells. I learned a lot from Barry and I will miss him a lot. We used to solve the worlds problems on a monthly basis…now I’ll have to look to the sky to ask his advice. Barry was one of the good ones and now he’s free to roam the universe.
    Aloha, my friend…..middlejohn

32. Niels&Judy says:

Kathy, Mana’o Radio Family,
    I first heard Mana’o radio about 41/2 years ago, Judy came home from work and said “you’ve got to listen to this new station”! All radios have been tuned to 91.5 since. I was at work Sat. 4/7 and Judy informed me Barry had passed away, she had just heard it on the radio. What?! So I went and turned the job radio up a bit louder (Michael McCartney was on) and eventually I heard the news. I was very saddened, I had just seem Barry and Kathy at dinner in Haiku just a few weeks ago.
    I feel so fortunate to have a radio station like this to look forward to. When I’m on the mainland I try to make my friends tune it on their computers so I can listen to my favorite DJ’s and music. When I have mainland friends visiting they think I’ve burned all these great CD’s— “Nope thats Mana’o radio” nothing like some old Jethro Tull or Lee Michaels to put me back in 9th grade.
    Thank you Barry, Thank you Kathy, It’s inspiring that you and his Mana’o family celebrate his life…. and it makes us on the listening end feel a little better.
    Aloha

33. Hutch Hutchinson says:

I just today received an E-Mail from my girlfriend Leslie on Maui informing me of the passing of Barry Shannon. A great soul and a great mind. Our paths had crossed many times over the years and we’d never really had time to sit down and talk. I recently ran into he and Kathy at the David Nelson show at Charlie’s and he and I started reminiscing about our days in the San Francisco music scene and our many mutual friends. I was really pleased and honored to find out that he and Kathy made a point to listen whenever I sat in on my friend Bobaloo’s Thursday night show. He asked if maybe I would like to do a show as a guest DJ upon my return to Maui in May and we planned to get together when I returned from this leg of a very long Bonnie Raitt tour. I was really looking forward to our being able to finally get together and catch up! I’m sitting here writing this in a eco-hotel in a rainforest in Byron Bay Australia where we played last night with Bon. Yesterday while hiking around before the show, I was thinking of how much this part of Australia reminded me of Hawaii and Maui in particular. But without my many friends. Our friends and family and community (of which Barry was and is such a big part) are (or should be) everything of importance in this life. He’ll be sorely missed! As the late great Ronnie Lane used to say “It’s a short movie’! We need to make the most of it while we’re here and I believe that he truly did! I feel as if I’ve lost an old friend.

34. Thanks, Barry, for letting me come in to be part of your wonderful radio family.
    -Anue Nue Kahile Kale

35. It seems I can hardly speak…
    And yet, there is so much to say I don’t think there is sufficient room in all this virtual space or paper ever printed to allow us to peel away the layers that made up the being that is Barry Shannon.
    I could paint images for you that float in my mind… The Boyish Joy, the Smile, the Voice, the Philosopher, The Warrior,the Great Knight of the Good Fight, the incredible depth of insight that only a true Experiential Teller of Tales may attain…and again so very much more… These images, these moments in time coloured by love and time itself can only pale to the vital essence, the powerful nature of the man.
    How can I relate to you the hundreds of days, the thousands of hours locked in deep conversation with Barry as I learned at the feet of a True Master…I cannot. That we found our Philosophies tend to run along nearly the same, or closely parralel tracks in so many cases is perhaps the reason I was so honored… An honor that I most humbly feel hardly deserving of, but one that I accepted then and now out of respect to such a Great Warrior.
    I wish to share just a little of that with you now.
    Many times we discussed the passing of Powerful Human Beings. Barry once said something that struck me… ” I think of musicians, artists as shaman, you know, warriors, teachers. They are modern medicine men and women, healers, witch doctors… They are in touch with a higher power, a higher vibration.” and in another instance, “With the passing of a shaman, a warrior, a teacher, there are always many great gifts, many lessons to be learned. It’s up to us to discern them, to figure ‘em out and benefit by them because everything in a true warriors life has purpose… almost especially their passing.”
    Hard words to hear now and yet very important to us all…
    A Great Teacher, Warrior, Shaman has passed and we must find those gifts, those lessons to honor his passing.
    In the passing of a Great Warrior the greatest honor is to be attended by a Great Warrior in their time of trial and passing. Barry was blessed by the attendance of the Greatest Warrior I have ever been honored to meet, his beloved wife Kathy Collins…and through her, her eyes, her heart, an unbelievable sharing of such incredibly intimate momments of Love, Strength, Beauty and Peace. Even to the sharing of their final moments together…
    The gift to us here, besides the obvious lessons in Strength, Dignity, Love, Human Caring, Sharing and many more, is that Barry and Kathy, in the sharing of such powerful moments, have gathered us all into a Tremendous Human Family. A Family nearly without blood ties, politic or creed. A Family of Music Lovers and Musicians, Poets, Philosophers, Lovers of the Arts, People that enjoy Creative Freedom and Expression… Those that fight the good fight. A Family, a Community that has spanned our planet in a few short years something unheard of… unique in the human experience.
    We have been included as The Children of Mana’o Radio in the passing of our Father in a way no other Family ever has. Barry and Kathy’s Gift (and it is only one of an astounding multitude) is this incredible Family joined in joy and music and community before his passing and now joined in grief, sadness and the kind of strength that can only be imparted by people such as they.
    This is only a part of the gift, a piece of the legacy that Barry Leaves us with. A legacy that will continue to grow beyond anything we or he could ever have imagined. I say this because many times Barry expressed that he could never have written the script nor planned for what Mana’o Radio had become or was going to come to be. “I just wound it all up and let it become what it would!” he often said…
    I wish to admonish everyone that tears of sadness are no shame… but to mix them with tears of joy and celebrate the life of a man who only celebrated life.
    ************************************
    Rise Heart
    And Bid Farewell,
    Sink Thee Not In Sadness…

Hold High Head
    And Straight Back,
    Bend Thee Not At Parting…

Frown Not Nor Shed Sad Tears
    But Rather Smile And Celebrate The Life!
    And Shed Then Only Tears Of Joy…

Rise Heart And Bid Farewell…

(The Farewell Song of the Chrystal Bard at the Passing of a King)
    ******************************
    My Love to all in this Beautiful Ohana… The Biggest, Bestest, Coolest Family in the world!
    May we Hold him Clear in our Hearts, our Minds and in the Things that we Do to Honor him.
    As Barry said…”Press on! Move foreward! The Show must go on!”
    And so it Shall…

Uncle Don Lopez

36. sarah in ha'iku says:

Thank you for sharing your Mana’o – not only over the airwaves (I’m one of the lucky who chanced upon KEAO on March 11, 2002, and have been listening ever since) but also and most especially, now during such a difficult time. “Any one of us, at any time, for any reason,” as my friend dc has said; and it is *so* true. The reminder to truly live each day until we die, is the most precious gift there is. My heart goes out to you Kathy; and Barry, I wish you peace and endless hiking (I hear the cloud mountains are stunning in the spring).

I’ll end as I started: mahalo.

37. Rena Morningstar says:

Thank you Barry! Thank you for your light.
    with love and aloha, Rena

Kathy, you are in my heart and prayers. Mahalo sister.

38. Eric Gilliom says:

What a wonderful human being. I am honored and greatful to have him in this lifes experience.
    eric

39. easter sunday, boston
    at 17 degrees
    the sun is there, somewhere

i remember what it feels like
    to be around him.

40. Dina Wilson says:

The joy and strength of ohana, in Mana’o, and throughout the islands and the world where your music and life touched so many.
    The shock and sadness in the news.
    Here on Maui we’re feeling it all, with grief and hope, and such a legacy left behind will never die.
    Dina

41. Marc says:

Aloha to you and your family Kathy. Reading your touching satement was inspiring. The bravery that you have shown in such a difficult time is remarkable. God bless all of you.
    Marc

42. Oh my…

I credit Barry and Mana’o radio with making my job driving a recycling truck for Maui Recycling Service the best job I have ever had. Really.

I recall the birth of Mana’o while out on a route and must say it is undoubtedly the coolest project ever in radio. I have introduced folks around the planet to the daily joys of Mana’o, Thank You.

I remember wondering how much fun Barry was having while troubleshooting transmitter problems with the phone hookup. I envisioned Kathy in a closet queing tunes. :)

Barry was always cordial when I called in, and it was obvious that he loved his station and his wife.

That’s why it’s the “coolest” station on radio, because the folks are their because they love what they do and those they do it with….and it shows.

I hated the days I had to do West Side routes and was in the Mana’o “cone of silence.”

Thanks Barry.

Bob Armantrout
    Maui Recycling Service(ex Officio)
    2001 F450 flatbed on 100% biodiesel

43. Kristy says:

I didn’t know Barry personally but, being a faithful listener, he touched my life every time I heard him on the air. I will miss him greatly and am touched deeply by his passing. And, Kathy, thank you for sharing your experience with his passing. You have helped me more than you can know. Aloha and Mahalo

44. Patty Neal says:

To Kathy and family,
    I have loved and appreciated Mana`o Radio since you and Barry first started it…has it been 5 years already? Although I never met Barry personally, his obvious expression of life, creativity and freedom in his radio shows will always be remembered. Thank you for being there for the rest of us.
    Aloha no,
    Patty

45. bobalou says:

barry gave me my first job in radio, i came in. he said put your music in there, push this button to talk, read out of the psa book, have a good time. out the door he went.i was scard shitless. i passed muster. even when i had to tour on the mainland and got stuck in new orleans for months barry refused to give up my shift, it’s your show and it’ll be here for you when you get home. as i got to know barry we found that we had been circling the same space all our lives, from one coast to the next. the jewel he and kathy have created in manao radio is one of the most precious gifts i have ever recieved. the power of music,and the freedom to play whatever i wanted. someone much wiser than myself once said “the only thing you can take with you when you leave this life,is what you gave while you were here” i’m sure the movers are bitching about the load. god bless barry shannon. what can i say? thanks for being my friend. your spirt will live with me as long as i live. fly on

46. Lorin Rowan says:

Barry was a catylst for The Rowan Brothers-Lorin & Chris,to find an opportunity to explore the musical inspiration that we could feel and breathe from the beautiful Hawaiin Islands,especially on Maui.It was through Barry’s genuine spirit and love of music that he recognized in us that we too shared that vision ,and he personally helped promote our music on Manao radio airwaves over the last few years, as well as helping set up live perfromances on Maui. Barry was generous in his energy. We sing a song for you Barry,and you will always be in our ‘circle of friends’.
    Lorin

47. Naomi Dicus says:

Kathy,
    I heard about your struggle from Nathan last week (Dr. Nat) while you were in Arizona (used to live there in college). I felt very distraught for you and Barry. I sent out my prayers and love to you both. Your words of Barry’s journey and passing were so heartfelt and sweet, it is uplifting to hear how it was a positive experience for you and to know that you are so strong and will always be with him. I am so joyful that you got to spend those precious moments together in a very peaceful passing. Your words are inspiring, thank you for sharing it with us. It had always been apparent to me you and Barry’s connection and love for each other, every time I’ve seen you both, and my heart and love go out to you then and now.
    Lots of love and support, from Naomi and Dr. Nat

48. Dee says:

Barry, keep your headphones on, keep listening, because there are many, many folks here carrying on your legacy, supporting the station, making sure that Mana’o Radio continues to be the best radio station on the planet. In the universe!
    A hui hou, Dee

49. to the radio man and his tita….
    to the full tilt einstein at the board sending signals…
    doin’ things no one’s done before.brave enough to have honest radio…
    foolish enough to pull it off like a 17year old on his first wave.
    to the fiery dj strong enough for the job no one else would do…
    wise enough to listen the truth
    in between the notes…and speak it.
    gentle enough to work for kokua just to make the aina smile… i say aloha… and
    looking forward to your next show…i’ll be listening.

50. unka clifi says:

Ah, Barry, I hardly knew ya, but what I learned is good.

51. Larissa G of the Haiku Hotties says:

I’d like to say thank you for gifting my ears with the music that has come out of this creation that you call “Mana’o”…Barry wasn’t the only angel that joined God that day from Arizona. As God would have it, my grandaunt also passed on Saturday at 2am in Arizona. She was my inspiration for me to become a nurse and to be where I am today. I am currently taking care of Heather (the other half of the Haiku Hotties). We love to listen to you guys first thing in the morning!!

Barry was probably an inspiration for a lot of people and a blessing to the musical airwaves. Now as I see it, he’s the angel that dances among the music and makes sure that the happiness continues to flow within us and all around us..Mahalo Ke Akua.. Barry and Tita Collins..

52. Barry and Kathy,
    Mahalo nui loa for the blessings you have given millions in your steadfastness in the gift of world music without commercialisn crammed in our face. I have only known you more personally recently Barry through supporting the road shows at Charley’s, but I feel we’ll BE playing on the ethereal now that you are in your expanded state. Your legacy shines on through all the people you have touch with your bright light and love.

Blessed BE your feet that have brought you in these ways.
    Blessed BE your knees that kneel at the sacred alter.
    Blessed BE your sex, without which we would not BE.
    Blessed BE your breasts, formed in strength and beauty.
    Blessed BE your lips which shall speak the sacred names.
    Blessed BE your eyes that see the sacred in all things.
    Blessed BE your thoughts for they are Divine and connected to mine.
    Blessed BE LOVE.

Blessed BE your journies …always all*ways. Hugs Annie

53. Thank you Barry & Kathy for following your dream & for giving me a chance to do my part in bringing it to fruition. It’s been my honor & privilege to be included in such a ground breaking endeavour & I appreciate you both for bringing me under your wings & making me part of your o’hana.
    I have learned so much & will I carry that with me always.
    Thank you Barry, for your inspiration & friendship. I will miss you tremendously.

To Kathy, I send you all my love & continued support. Thank you for sharing your grace & beauty through this experience. You too are an inspiration!
    Know that I am here for you to help you carry on this wonderful legacy.

With warmest aloha,

Anastasia Gilliam

54. Tim Wolfe says:

Kathy, my fond aloha and sympathy. He will be remembered with love forever.

55. THANK YOU Barry…. for your Aloha and friendship…. EL DOGG

56. christina Wieand says:

Kathy,
    May peace be with you and your loved ones. Take the time you need to be kind to yourself, then be happy you will always be surrounded by Barry’s spirit, soul and special smile.
    May all the aloha warm you, keep you safe and help you remember all your blessings.

With much affection and thanks,

Christina

57. Alana Cini says:

Kathy… You and Barry been a pillar of strength for me over these last couple years DJ’ing on Manao Radio. The love you two have shared has given me hope, strength, couage and great wisdom on my inward jouney. Thank you for having me on your team. I love you both, dearly.

Barry… you will be greately missed and yet will be Manao Radio’s guiding Light. Kathy lives on and you live within her. When I see Kathy I also see YOU. You two are ONE to me.. and yet individual’s in your own right. I am honored to have known you :-)

Travel with the Angel’s, Barry…Keep on making music in the Great Studio on High! See you up there someday.. would love to DJ on your station. I can see you broadcasting all over the Grand Universe… I am sure it will be the greatest radio show in Eternity!

Until we meet again.. With Love and Light… AlanaMana

58. vincent mina says:

I never physically met Barry Shannon, yet I did get to speak with him once over the phone, asking him if he would be interested in supporting a dream I have of a “Organic Farm Aid Concert”. He not only was interested, I could feel his heart resonate through the tone of his voice and words in support of the idea. I truly appreciated that this man showed me his beautiful heart, from such a simple place as a phone call. It is my hope that his family find these words comforting, in the knowing of all the folks he touched. Godspeed to all of his ohana. Mahalo Nui Loa for holding this space of community expression. Aloha no! Vincent Mina, Farmer and President of Maui Aloha Aina Association

59. Gail Swanson says:

I will miss Barry! He was always smiling and so cool! Sometimes when I did a Sat. show, Barry and Kathy would pop in and say hi in the middle of their busy day. They always thanked me for doing the dj gig but I hope Barry knew that I was the one who was most grateful. Grateful for getting to play my favorite songs for 4 hours. Thankful that in the midst of all conforming radio stations in the world, Manoa shined through like a real bright light of freedom. It is more than a radio station – its a symbol of human expression and how important it is. Barry was and will always be the “DJ UPSTAIRS” and we’ll all sure miss him down here. I am sure that when we get a song stuck in our heads, it’ll be a good one from now on because Barry’s at the controls now. :)

No time to say goodbye
    Not a word that you’d be leaving us behind
    Cause you know that we’d have tried
    Just to slow to down
    Hold your wings and keep you on the ground
    When it was time for you to fly.

One day, one way I will see you
    One day, one way, I will see you again
    One day, one way, I will see you my friend.

Much love to you my friend, Gail :)

60. Aloha Barry my old freind, by striving for your dream of Manao Radio, you made the dreams of so many listners and DJ’s come true as well. There will never be another like you and you will always be remembered.
    Scott Sherley, Stardust Memories

61. chris rowan says:

Barry was always wanting to make something good happen in the moment.Always wanting to share the love of friendship and music.My brother lorin and I played Maui on March 2 and 3.One date for Mana’o Radio benefit that Barry put together,and the next night at Charlies with Bob Jones and Don Lopez.I sat down with him and Kathy as they were starting to have dinner before we played.Smiles,laughter,and story telling.I loved his tale when he was in San Francisco in the early 60′s when the music scene was just organically growing and groups were getting together for the love of playing.Him being a DJ and a behind the scene guy doing as he would always would do,to make good things happen.I told him he should right a book on those memorable days,cause he was there in a very special way.Ya Barry,your one special guy,love Chris

62. Dante Parducci says:

My deepest sympathies to Barry’s friends and family.
    Thank you Barry & Kathy for Manao Radio.
    Aloha.

63. Pat and Cris Simmons and Family says:

Growing up in the S.F. Bay Area I had the great opportunity to be around when radio went from AM to FM. KMPX was just starting out, and for those of us who were lucky enough to be part of the Psychedelic Revolution, we at last had a voice to tell the world we were here. That voice belonged to Barry Shannon. Of course there were others, Big Daddy Tom Donahue to name one, but Barry was our guy. I would never have guessed that 40+ years later I would be listening to that same incredible voice on a station that, thank God, was playing the kind of music that allowed our collective consciousness to soar. Friends come here to Maui and tune in to Manao, and are amazed to hear something so hip. They tell us how lucky we are to live in a place where we can listen to this kind of fantastic music all the time. We always smile and feel so proud of the station and all the wonderful people who make it possible. Even though we are just listeners ourselves, we somehow feel that we are a part of it. I know that is how Barry and Kathy wanted us to feel, like we were part of a family. A radio family. Whatever we happened to be doing; driving, at the beach, at a restaurant, at home having dinner, at work, or just hangin’ out with friends and family, there we were with our radio family, too. This has always brought such comfort to us, to hear the familiar voices of our friends and the tunes that we love, in the places where we live our daily lives. What an amazing gift! If this was a dream that Barry had, I would say he lived it 100 percent. There are few people who can say they have touched as many lives as this amazing man. What a wonderful legacy he has left for all of us. The music and the memories live on in our hearts. His spirit is there every time we listen to those who were close to him on the air at Manao. Thanks to all of you who carry on in his memory. Thank you so much Kathy for sharing Barry with the rest of us. Please accept our deep condolences and warm alohas.

64. Steve-o says:

My deepest sympathies to Barry’s friends and family. On occassion I would call Barry from Colorado. He spent the time to make me feel like a real human being just from his voice and tone. I will miss the conversations and say “thanks for being a great light in my day.!” I’ve lost a friend.

Steve-o
    Colorado

65. Wow, incredible words from all, so wonderful but not surprising because of the incredible person we all speak of. Barry was 1 in a quadrillion; in fact I don’t think there ever was anybody like Barry or will there ever be. The mold was broke after him. These past couple of weeks has been tough on my ohana with all the trouble Barry was having. The incredible warrior Kathy, that is his talented, akamai, deep, & very intelligent wife has shown amazing strength and I feel she has helped all of us deal with Barry’s untimely demise. His passing hit me deeper than one of my own family members. It’s all in the depth of interaction you have with each other. Saturday the night of his passing I did a tribute show for Barry, as I felt him with me that night, as he wanted to hear a couple tunes I didn’t even think of, I hope to make that music available on-line to all soon so check back. I pray this story adds to all the wonderful memories of Barry’s life that we all share; he has been instrumental in my life. Reading Mike McCartney’s tribute took me back to the old days. I’m one of the old radio alumni from KMVI 98.3 FM & AM 55, Mike was our Music Director in those days. Then Obie Broadcasting sold to Pacific Radio Group. We all moved from big complex on Wai’ahu Beach Rd. to the tiny concrete “bomb shelter” behind Ka’ahumanu Mall. It was tough combining 2 radio stations from our side of town, with their 3 existing stations. We now had 5 stations all in a little concrete bunker not much bigger than a large phone booth. So when we didn’t have to be attached to a microphone, or soundboard we all stepped out into the “alley” that Mike described so eloquently, and talked story. Barry & Kathy we’re regulars out back, as most of us Jocks were. I remember we probably solved world peace among many social and political issues in our talk story sessions, but as soon as we went back into the studios, reality was different. We all worked for “Commercial Radio” and that meant somebody else telling us when and what to say, and play. “The Box” is already made and you don’t step outside of the walls, floor, or ceiling. And if you do, I’m sure you’ve seen a “Bug Zapper”, that’s what happens to you, poof goes your job. Working at Pacific Radio Group was where I first met the “Dynamic Duo” as they did their daily afternoon drive show on KNUI. I didn’t really like the music format of KNUI since I’m a crunchy rock guy but I forced myself to listen to the station when I could just to catch them. Myself as a pro in this business for 31 years now, I recognized pure magic & chemistry that they had together on-air. Very rare to have a husband and wife team, much less two that are such seasoned pros. Well unfortunately with all those people sardine’d into a tiny building some jobs were duplicated, mine as Production Director, Kirk Hamilton was already doing for Pacific Radio, my afternoon drive show on 98.3 FM was going automated, and my evening show on AM – 55 was going satellite. They wanted me to pre-record my show, I couldn’t do it live, and they wanted to only pay me for the 45 to 60 minutes it would have taken to record my show to “hard drive” instead of paying me live. Drive all the way down the mountain for an hour work. So much for “Real, Live, Spontaneous” radio. We all saw the writing on the wall as far as that one was concerned, although we figured it wouldn’t happen to us. I was one of the first to be corporate downsized. I know all who survived the “hatchet” breathed a sigh of relief, as human nature is that it wasn’t their neck on the block, and felt no one shed a tear for me, although a few knew it was their loss. Barry’s number came up several years later, as he was downsized as I was. That’s OK because Barry had a plan, he was going to create an “Oasis in the middle of the desert, where all who thirst, can come to drink of the Living Waters” in his words. Out of the years I’ve been doing radio, what Barry had planned for Maui would be one of the most beautiful presents you could give any group of people. “Free-Form” Radio! Without any of those nasty, obnoxious, time suck commercials, that break up all that great music. It was going to be not only fun for the audience but tons of fun for the DJ’s. You see, any monkey can sit and push buttons, and you can tell them what to play, and say, but where’s the creativity? You’re just a mouthpiece for somebody else, not really you. When I worked in major market radio on the mainland, I always sought out a college radio station around the town where I had my regular commercial radio job, and volunteered my time so I could do at least a 4 hour show once a week to play a show that was my own, real, from my head, not some prepackaged crap I was told to play at my regular radio paying gig. It was the only way I could keep my sanity from the crazy, wild, and constantly changing (at least it used to be) days of commercial rock radio. Plus I felt people were being cheated out of some incredible music, just because some pinhead in a suit who sits in an ivory tower say’s this is what the people want to hear. Barry & Kathy had a present for Maui & the world, Mana’o, the idea. I’ve been here over 15 years and was always saddened that such a beautiful palace in which mother Maui has allowed me to call home, had no free-form radio station, I felt we needed one. One that in Barry’s words, “Doesn’t kowtow to corporate interest”, one that plays what the people really want and deserve. The first couple days Mana’o went live, I was talking to Barry by phone and thanking them for putting all of that together. Barry said there was a lot of work to be done to make this idea grow. He said Mon. – Fri. 6am – Midnite was covered with personnel but the weekends needed someone like me for Saturday’s mid-day, afternoons. I was stoked! To have my life now be so much fuller because it’s in my blood to do free-form radio, in the place where I put my roots down, here in Maui where I call home. It was the real thing missing, a dream come true. I remember walking out of the “bedroom studio” in Barry & Kathy’s house after doing my first Saturday show, our 2nd week of broadcast, and Barry was fixing something to eat in the kitchen, he said something to me that touched my heart, I still remember, he said “Daryl the day they gave you your walking papers at Pacific, I didn’t think of how you felt, how sad and angry you must have been, I was just glad it wasn’t me, but when that day happened for me, well that day I went back to the moment it happened to you, and felt what it was like to be in your shoes. It hurt, and I was now in the same position, I wish I would have showed more sympathy, I always hated those corporate pricks!” That touched me, for the compassion he had, not many would say that. Commercial radio is a fickle friend, it’s like shoes, and the formats wear out, we’ve all got those pink slips along with your final paycheck telling you we were a Rock station yesterday, today were satellite radio playing Country. Thanx, Good-Bye.

Most people don’t realize how easy it is to have someone tell you what and when to play, it takes the guesswork out. It takes much more depth to create your own show; sure you can act like you’re in your living room and just put in any old CD, but those shows are obvious and lack substance, it really takes work to create a 4 hour show, if you really value what precious gift you’ve been given. A chance to share your Mana with a large audience. I always equated it this way, when I walk into the studio, I’m an artist, and in front of me is a blank canvas, the way I weave the music, the paint. As I paint this aural tapestry throughout the nite, by the time I’m done at the end of the evening I’ve painted a beautiful masterpiece from sound, words, & thought. Music has an incredible effect on our human emotions as we all know. Barry has created another legacy and opened it up to musicians this time, some stations have musicians but Mana’o has more than most, evolving into an incredible outlet for the ones who create what we play, they’re now in the studio playing music for you, live sometimes, instead of just on CD. It’s not just a “Radio Personality” station. Mana’o Radio is a shining star in the true gem of Maui, and is true blessing that’s really connected to the community… it shows. I’ve been blessed to be part of this wonderful Sound-ship blazing across the universe, since the 2nd week of broadcast, and hope to be with it until the day I step through the veil. Barry has and will always be a blessing in my life, for helping me to be complete. So I can stay connected to all of you. I was blessed when he asked me to start the first day of 24 hour a day programming. Someone had be there from Midnite – 6AM, so we could be 24/7. I kept us going and had a blast for over a year, 4 nites a week. With the relaxed FCC rules of 1996 adult humor and language was cool after 10PM until 6AM. You won’t find many stations in the US that will let you do that. Me being the radio rebel I am, I took full advantage of giving our mature audience the high quality adult comedy, and music we all deserve without censorship. The way it should be, real radio, for real people, not some statistical demographic. I was blessed when Barry told me he had a surprise for me he thought I would really enjoy, yet be patient, all things come to those that wait and are deserving. About a year and a half ago, Barry called and asked if I wanted to do Saturday nites, 8 to Midnite. I like doing radio anytime, but my favorite shift has always been Sat. Nites. Everybody’s out partying and I’m an old nightclub DJ too. This is going to be tough without Barry’s daily input, but Kathy is the other half and now she’s even more empowered with his Mana, we will all ban together like we never have, and carry this legacy into the new age. Barry was like my dad, only a year and 2 weeks younger than my own, he was “Papa Radio” to me, like a father. Because of people like Barry when he started in radio, the Dr. Donald Rose’s of KFRC, in San Fran, Rick Carroll’s and Wolfman Jacks of KNDE, & KROY, Sacramento, all those pioneers I grew up with in the 60’s on West Coast radio, because of them, I’m sure that’s why I got into the business in the mid 70’s. I figured I could do that. It takes people like Barry to empower you. And to be part of one of the pioneers of the “Summer of Love” radio, to sit at his feet and be part of something much bigger than all of us imagine, You will be missed, but never forgotten, I am part of you, as you are part of me.
    Daryl Scott “The Dangerous One”

66. nat says:

Blessed…to have gotten to know many of you and hear your favorite songs and learn about this journey from a new family of wonderful teachers like all of you… not the least of whom was Barry.

MAHALO BARRY for weaving together such a very cool tapestry of eccentrics ;)

Enjoy your respite Barry…for I’m saving some of those “silly console” questions especially for you… a hui hou…

nat
    gracias a la vida

67. It has been only nine months since first learning of Manao radio.
    I try to remember where I first heard the name. Maybe it was the top 100 on a Saturday afternoon from an affiliated station coming into a small town in Kansas. Draggin main on a Saturday night or finding a station on a stretch of highway ‘going somewhere.’ Maybe it was only in learning of Manao radio from an old friend ‘The Road Dog’.
    I am thankful for the opprotunity to have learned of this wonderful radio station.
    Through a Google search on Kathy and Barry I had discovered the Trilogy. I was attempting to locate copies in our libraries. An old friend worked in the inter- library loan department at CKLS in Great Bend Kansas. After not receiving a reply I had thought of calling or e-mailing to the station. This was nearly a month ago. I had inquired to Kathy about guitar lessons…Well, I would still love to read the books. Perhaps some insights into the mans life.
    A wonderful radio station, a wonderful legacy!
    Mahalo..(Thank You)
    …Deb

68. Jim Hall says:

Beautiful time today at Barry’s life celebration. He was a wonderful man and will live on through the love of music and Manao Radio. I put a few pictures of the memorial up on my site in case anyone wants a glimpse.

Aloha Barry and our hearts go out to Kathy and all his Manao Family.

Jim

69. staci says:

Barry was a wonderful man. He is been such a great father in law. I am so glad my children were able to spend time with him on vacation. Even though the girls are young they have beautiful memories of their time with grandpa. He has made memories in our hearts that will last forever. I will always remember all the love he has brought to kathy and the family. To kathy, I love you.

staci

70. Sandra Lee says:

I feel as tho’ I have been holding my breath since you passed on. Then came your memorial. I felt a bit shaky on the way there and wondered how well I would be able to ‘steel’ my emotions and not be a sobbing idiot. As we pulled into the parking lot I could hear the bagpipes warming up for their tribute, “oh great! I said to Don, BAGPIPES! I’m toast now” as I choked bag a little sob. Then as I looked around, there it was right in front of us all, Barry’s legacy in human form.

At first the faces appeared to be on the verge of crying, quivering lips, deep sadness pouring from all the eyes. I’m not sure how it changed from that, to holding hands, a lightness of warm giggles, passing glances of a quirky smile and a wink. All the words of love spoken for you, all the warm meaningful hugs, the exchange of a part of ourselves to each other, and each one of us holding on to the memories of who you are to each one us, never to be forgotten.

I thank YOU and Kathy for ‘seeing’ me, inviting me into this amazing ohana at the very birth of ‘your baby’ Mana’o radio.

Some of my special moments are you bursting into the room with excitement! just wanting to know what I was playing. I had those moments of feeling like “little grasshopper” drinking of the wisdom this ‘master’ had to share, hanging on every word. You had such a way of making those in your presence feel so special!
    You’ve taken us all on a journey! It’s opened up a place deep inside where we get to a deeper understanding of who WE are, how we feel about our relationships with each other, how we feel about death, how much do we cry, or not? I guess it’s all on what we have decided to believe in on where you went and what you may doing? All I know for sure is that while I’m still on this planet, I’ll miss you!

And it tickels me thinking that death is inevitable, and that I’ll not only get see you, but have a jam session on some conga’s with you! you couln’t play anymore while you were here because of the damage you had done to your hands from playing countless hours! But now nothings broke, your whole, complete, any probably listening AND playing to some of the best music EVER!!

I’ve let about half my breath out now, looking so forward to BarryFest’07. We plan on making it “the best EVER’ and you know we got your back on this Barry, Mana’o radio will get to mature way beyond our lives on this planet, your legacy will live on! Oh, and we’re going to take care of Kathy too. Yea, we know she’s tough and can handle, but we’re going to anyway!

I love you my friend, my mentor, a hui ho.

71. Matt Thomas says:

I had just moved to Maui and found Manao radio on the dial. Having had my own radio show on college radio I popped by the studio to say how much I enjoyed the artistic freedom of the station and met Barry. What started out as a two minute “Hey you have a great station..” turned into a 90 minute discussion of our love of music and ifferent artists who changed our lives. I was blessed to do an overnight shift for my short time on the island..always with great support of the whole manao family…but especially Barry. One morning around 3 am or so I had just finshed a robust set and the phone rings..it’s Barry..all he says is “YYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS….a sweet set!” It is that unbridled joy of life and call of support I will keep as my snapshot of Barry. Fare thee well Barry, your legacy lives on in the hearts of everyone who knew you.

72. Don Gronning says:

I just learned of Barry’s death, my condolences to the Manao ohana. He and Kathy were very kind to me during my stint at Manao and taught me a lot about radio. I remember fondly the safety meetings and just being around him. He was a great guy who left a big legacy.
    Don